CHECKLIST PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
The following documents are needed when you arrive at the airport in the UK, where you will be interviewed by the Immigration and Health officials. It is therefore important that you bring with you the following documents :
- A valid passport
- A student visa or UK entry clearance. Visa applications can be made at: Visa Facilitation Services (VFS), UK Application Centre, Suite 19-05, 19th Floor, Wisma MCA, 163 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur. Application forms can be downloaded from the website and students living out of Kuala Lumpur can send in their applications by post. Please refer to their website (http://www.vfs.com.my/) for more information.
- An air ticket (preferably a return ticket if within a one year stay)
- Medical report
- Chest X-ray (film and report)
- Obtain a certified copy of your vaccination records. A meningitis vaccination is required. This can be obtained for free from the NHS in the UK; however you may want to have it done locally. Check with your doctor that the vaccine you are receiving is the same type as the type given in the UK.
- A letter of acceptance from the university or International Admission Letter
- Documentary evidence that you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and accommodate yourself while studying, recent bank statements, proof of scholarship or sponsorship letter or letter from your employer
- Originals (or certified true copies) of any degree certificates or technical qualifications.
- If you are self-sponsored please ensure that you have ready a bank draft of a certain portion of your tuition fees payable in the name of the university or a letter from your parents or guardian who will pay for your fees and living expenses in the UK
- Letter from university confirming your accommodation status, if required by British Embassy
- A letter from university confirming your accommodation status, if required by British Embassy. It is advisable to stay at the Hall of Residence to acclimatise to the new living environment. You should make reservations as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Generally, the university needs a security deposit (not applicable to freshers) and a minimum rent between 4 weeks to 8 weeks.
- If you need transportation or temporary accommodation please notify the university at least two weeks by notifying details of your travel arrangements.
- If you are arriving during weekends please get ready with extra cash to provide your own transport and accommodation in case problems occur.
- It is advisable to bring cash of £ 200 to pay for your transport and other expenses. It is convenient if you have a credit card. However, traveller’s cheques can also be used.
- Please bring a separate bank draft for your accommodation and tuition fees. Never bring one bank draft to pay all your expenses because the bank clearance may take 5 to 10 working days.
- A marriage certificate with translation (if not in English) if you are bringing your wife to accompany you (if applicable). The translation must be certified.
- A child’s birth certificate with translation (if not in English) if you are bringing your child to accompany you (if applicable). The translation must be certified.